What is a Private Organization?
Private Organizations are self-sustaining, special interest groups set up by people acting exclusively outside the scope of any official capacity as officers, employees or agents of the federal government. They operate on Air Force installations with the written consent of the installation Commander. (AFI 34-223 Section A.1.)
Private Organizations are not Federal entities and are not to be treated as such. Accordingly, they are not NAF instrumentalities (NAFIs) as defined in AFI 34-201, Use of Nonappropriated Funds, nor are they entitled to the sovereign immunities and privileges given to NAFIs or the Air Force. (AFI 34-223 Section A.1. 1.1)
Unofficial activities/organizations are small groups that are not required to be formally established as Private Organization because their current assets (including cash, investments, inventory and receivables) do not exceed a monthly average of $1,000 over a three month period. (AFI 34-223 Section 2. 2.2.)
Examples of a Private Organization are:
– Squadron Booster Clubs
– Unit Advisory Committees
– Spouse Clubs
– Special Interest Groups
Base Fund Raising
All fundraisers held on base by a Private Organization or unofficial activity must be approved through the NAF Resource Management Office, Private Organization Coordinator.
For successful fundraisers you must:
1. Be familiar with AFI 34-223.
2. Prepare request using the appropriate link below in Sample Documents/Fund Raisers.
3. Complete all portions of the request in detail.
4. Coordinate with the facility manager and Public Health Office (374 MDG), if it’s a food fundraiser.
5. Email your request in a word document format to firstname.lastname@example.org
6. Upon approval, you will be issued a permit by the Private Organization Coordinator.
7. Advertising for your event may commence. Please consult with the Private Organization Coordinator on acceptable advertising methods. *
8. Prominently display your permit at your event.
9. Prominently display the name of your organization at the event.
10. Prepare the after-action fundraiser report (see links below) and provide to the Private Organization Coordination within 15 days after the event. Page 1 of the report must have original signatures. Attach copies all of the receipts.
11. Keep copies of all financial documents in the private organization/unofficial activities files for audit purposes.
Please complete the steps outlined above to request your fundraiser and submit your request a 60 days prior to minor events / 180 days prior to major events.
* Advertising may commence once Initial Approval has been obtained.
** Procedures outlined above are not all-inclusive. Please refer to AFI 34-223 for additional guidance.